8th June Update – Delayed Opening to Year 6

I understand that this is an extremely challenging time for us all and I fully recognise the many acts of kindness which staff, pupils and our community have undertaken to support each other. I would like to pay special tribute to the work of all our staff team for their fantastic work in supporting your children and your family during this challenging time.

Nationally, the government is requesting that schools and childcare settings start to increase the numbers of pupils attending over the coming weeks. Our school approach, as you know, has been to focus on making safe and sensible decisions in order to gradually increase our pupils returning to school. Our school team have done excellent preparatory work undertaking and completing risk assessments in our school and we are ready for this.

Members of the government’s advisor group SAGE (Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies) and the Directors of Public Health advised caution and concern about the too rapid easing of lockdown and the increased risk of a second pandemic wave. Balancing this concern, is where the national R number sits – last week being at 0.73 in the North West. Knowing the importance of having our children back at school, we planned the limited increase in small groups of Year 6 children returning from Monday 8th June.

However information released at 2pm on Friday estimated the R value is now above the critical value of 1 for the North West, at 1.01.

Because of this change in R, and despite the excellent work undertaken, I have consulted with our school governors and the Local Authority and have decided to delay wider opening until we are more assured that the rate of infection is reducing and R is firmly below 1. This will be reviewed each week.

Thank you for your continued support,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *